I am in the process of expanding this page into a book, The Healthicine Creed. At present, it is a work in progress.
Principles of Healthicine
1. Healthicine: the arts and sciences health and healthiness.
2. A “healthiness” is a specific health measurement. Healthiness is a measure of nearness to balance in content or process. Specific healthinesses can be in healthy balance, deficient, or excessive. Because life, and health, are processes – healthiness scores are constantly moving as life progresses.
3. Health is whole, consisting of healthiness and unhealthiness. Unhealthiness is the inverse of healthiness. Healthiness is measured on a scale between zero and 100 percent – unhealthiness is the inverse of the healthiness score. Unhealthiness exists when healthiness is not optimal, or when healthiness is out of balance. All living systems are so complex some unhealthiness is always present. Living systems use balances – manipulating healthiness and unhealthiness, to move forward in life.
4. Life consists of chemical and physical things acting in an environment. Health includes not just the physical living thing, but also the processes of the mind and spirit, and the environments in which they reside. This includes communities of life and communities of different life forms.
5. Illness is a hole in your health. All illness is the result of severe imbalance or imbalances in healthiness – deficiencies or excesses.
6. A simple, elemental, or primary illness is the result of a single cause. Every complex illness is made up of a set of simple, elemental illnesses.
7. A preventative cure is an action that directly addresses a primary imbalance before it reaches the level of a diagnosable illness.
8. A cure is an action that addresses the cause of an elemental illness.
9. A compound or complex illness is a result of two or more causes. Many illnesses are complex. Every complex illness is a combination of simple illnesses. A complex illness can be cured by a series of cures, each addressing individual elemental illnesses. A flow process for curing illness can be found here.
10. Unhealthiness is the inverse of healthiness. Wellness is the opposite of illness.
These are the fundamental principles of healthicine, as I have explored and defined them to date. I am happy to discuss comments, suggestions, etc. to help us refine these principles.
to your health, tracy
revised (minor edit) Oct 23, 2012
revised (clarify unhealthiness as inverse of healthiness) Feb 27, 2013
revised (include process and environment, clarify and simplify concepts) June 28, 2015
updated to introduce language for ‘elemental illness’ February 2016.